-----

"Black Chrome Information"

I am interested in becoming a supplier of Black Chrome (aka "Black Pearl") automobile emblems and small trim pieces. Most of the emblems now are chrome plated plastic (I believe), but I would also like to do polished 304 stainless steel.

I have seen systems offered by the gold emblem plating manufacturers, which involve tanks, solution, etc. Additionally, I believe the chromium has to be chemically stripped from the emblems before the black can be applied. Then, the parts have to be clear-coated for durability.

Is this my only option? I'd like to explore all processes to achieve this finish, then decide if it makes sense to invest the capital, or find a job shop.

William Hannigan
- Providence, Rhode Island
^

Hi William,

I guess from your question that you intend to plate the emblem with Black Chrome. I tried the following Cr2O3 250 gms/ltr and acetic acid 15 ml/ltr this solution gives varying shades of black to brown depending on current density and temperature. In case you need to plate 300 series SS you need to activate it well else you land up having peel off problem.

Viney Chaddha
- Gurgaon, Haryana, India
^