-----

"Potassium and cyanide content in plated silver"

Does anybody have data on the amounts of potassium and cyanide which are incorporated into silver plated from a standard silver potassium cyanide bath? I was told that plating at higher current densities would result in more incorporation of these into the plated layer, but I'm hoping that somebody has some data.

Eric Karlsson
Microsemi - Santa Ana, California, USA
^

I never heard that, and doubt that it's true; rather, I think the amount of potassium and cyanide incorporated into the deposit is zero. It is true that there is capillary action, and that 'cyanide bleedout' is an historic problem, but I suspect that if the product is rinsed well that no cyanide will remain. You can use hot and cold rinses, ultrasonic rinsing, or you could rinse in a dilute hypochlorite solution (like the old Lancy "integrated treatment"). If someone thinks I'm wrong and that cyanide is actually incorporated into the plating, I would appreciate being educated about it.

^