-----

"Rust removal and inhibition for a refrigerator on a saltwater boat"

2002

I bought a Cervitor R90 refrigerator for my boat last year and the housing is starting to show minor rust spots, mostly at the edges where the housing meets up with the PVC interior. I want to do something to preserve the fridge for as long as possible as it cost $1400. I planned on repainting it but didn't know where to start. It's current paint is a water based baked on enamel and I would prefer to remove the minor spots and paint over it with a Rustoleum aerosol type product unless there's a better option. Would it help to first paint a coat of rustoleum primer? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Frank King
- Mission, Texas
^

2002

I have the same problem with rusting refrigerators in my home. I saw a site that suggests re-enameling it with a kit from a hardware or home improvement store.

Kathy Barr
- Haiku, Hawaii, USA
^

2007

Several products are available to stop rust: Rust Converter [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] is available through boating suppliers and your everyday paint suppliers.

Most rust converters act as a primer and can be painted over within a few hours. Follow the directions on the bottle.

Happy painting!

GC

Gary Cherkas
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
^