-----

"Chromate Conversion Coatings"

Dear Mr. Mooney,

I refer to your interesting response to the thread no. 13031, in which you say that, as regards the thickness of the anodized oxide layer, half of it replaces the consumed metal, half increases the global thickness.

My question is: does the same happen in chromate conversion coatings (Alodine)?

P. Cirese
- Italy
^

Chem film forms a gel coating on the outside of the aluminum. Most of any loss will be from the preparation steps. If mild cleaners and etches are used, you will not be able to measure the loss with normal equipment.

^

No. Chromates are complicated coatings consisting of various oxides, hydrated compounds, etc. I do not know how much aluminum is removed in the chromating process, but it's a very small amount.

^