-----

"Gold zinc with yellow chromites"

We are major supplier of pallet rack to Home Depot and have been suppling a Galvanized rack to the garden centers for years. We have learned that one of our competitors is experimenting with Home Depot to replace the galvanized product with a process called " gold zinc with yellow Chromites". I have called two galvanizers and neither have heard of this. Could anyone provide us with details of what this is, who the processors might be and the advantages.

Bill Hooper
- Niles, Michigan, USA
^

It sounds to me like they are doing cost cutting or they feel the yellow color may be attractive for a change. But I believe they are talking about zinc electroplating (much thinnner and therefore less corrosion resistant than galvanizing) followed by a hexavalent yellow chromate (toxic, and rapidly being phased out around the world). I'd rather be in your shoes than your competitor's.

^