-----

"Chrome Removal Question"

I have a chrome plated snare drum with matching chrome rims and hardware. I would like to either paint over the chrome or remove the chrome completely so that I can paint it a matte color. Does anyone know of a way to treat the chrome so that paint will adhere to it or an easy and inexpensive way to remove the chrome? Also, is there a specific type of paint or brand that I should use that will withstand the impact of hard playing on the snare?

Chris Robinette
- Richwood, New Jersey
^

There is no paint that will withstand the impact of hard playing; therefore science demands that you play those drums very softly and quietly.

You will need to remove the chrome, which can be done by dipping for about half a minute in Muriatic Acid [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] . But this is a dangerous material to work with, or even have hanging around, so it would be better to take your drum to a plating shop.

^