-----

"Clearcoat finished zinc-coating for metal doors"

I am planning to specify a zinc-coating with a clearcoat finish for an interior hollow metal door to be used as an upscale rental apartment entry. I know that galvanneal is the typical coating used in the metal door industry. However, I am not sure that this will give me the high-tech look that I want. I am wondering if I should pursue a hot-dipped product (if available).

I am assuming that there is some oil residue that will need to be removed prior to finishing.

I am also wondering what the best clear finish would be. Lacquer? Polyurethane?

Michael D. Moyta
architecture - Monroeville, Pennsylvania, USA
^

I believe that the most durable finish whould be a clear powder coat. There are numerous shops that should be capable of this finish, including some of the zinc platers. Zinc plating may be found in a variety of different colored finishes depending upon which chromate conversion coating is used. You should ask to see representative samples before sending your doors for finsihing.

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York
^

It is something that is done, in fact I have just wrapped up a job that we have been working on for a year! samples came out beautiful...

Steve Novelli
hollow metal doors - Brooklyn, New York
^

2006

I understand powder coating to be a factory controlled application. Can anyone recommend a field-applied clear coat over natural zinc?

Mike Kyes
architect - Boston, MA, US
^