-----

"Post-welding Heat Treatment of Aluminum"

Our group is in the process of building a frame for a vehicle out of 6065 Aluminum treated to T6. The joints will all be welded. I realize that this partially if not completely negates the aluminum's heat treatment in the welded section. However, is there a way to restore some of the heat treatment? I had heard somewhere that the treatment will actually restore itself over time, but I'm slightly hesitant to believe this. Since we are still in the design stage, I am trying to esablish an estimate for the yield stress, a limit that we can attempt to stay below. Is there any way to treat the frame post-welding so that we can deal with a higher yield stress?

Ben Black
- Houston, Texas
^

2007

Ben:
I am interested in building/modifying aluminum motorcycle frames and was wondering if you found any information on post weld heat treatments?

Jason Blackford
- Butte, MT, USA
^