-----

"Chrome removal advice"

I have a stainless marine shotgun that has chrome plating on the barrel; I want to remove the chrome plating from the stainless and give it a matte finish with my beadblaster: What chemical can I remove the chrome, nickel, and copper without damaging the stainless or the environment?

James Griggs
- Panama City, Florida
^

Removing the chrome is the easy part. Muriatic Acid [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] (HCl) will do the trick in probably a few minutes. The nickel is the toughie. My recommendation is to find a good plater that can strip it and will have all the necessary chemicals and equipment for waste disposal. I don't think it should cost too much.

Dan Brewer
chemical process supplier - Gurnee, Illinois
^