-----

"HMIS ratings"

We are a large volume zinc electroplater, we have been around since 1919. After a recent OSHA inspection I was reviewing our MSDS sheets and noticed two questionable HMIS ratings. One on muriatic acid 22*Be and nitric acid 42*Be. Sulfuric acid 66*Be appeared to be correct.
muriatic acid 22*Be--health 3 flamibility 0 reactivity 0
nitric acid 42*Be----health 3 flamibility 0 reactivity 0
sulfuric acid 66*Be--health 3 flamibility 0 reactivity 2

I spoke with our supplier and was assured the HMIS ratings were correct. Who am I to doubt the "experts"?

The OSHA inspection want well, other than being "entertained" for 5 hours, we had only two minor infractions.

Don Penzenik
- Elkhart, IN, USA
^

I believe that you are only obligated to utilize the same information as is provided by your supplier. It is up to them to provide correct information. If you have queried them and they have replied, you have done your job.

Now, if you are convinced that they may be wrong, you can look up the HMIS ratings of these "generic" materials in a reference source (I believe JJ Keller publishes one). You can also look at some MSDS's from other vendors at their web sites. Also, Fisher Scientific has MSDS's for all the chemicals they sell, on line - I would consider these to be reliable references.

By the way, I am not trying not to directly answer your question, but felt it best to give you reference sources that could help in future inquiries.

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York
^