-----

"Refinishing old wrought iron furniture"

I have a very old wrought iron patio furniture set that belonged to my grandmother. It is painted white and I'd like to strip it and repaint it. What is the best way to go about stripping, and when I'm ready to repaint, should it be spray painted, or is powder coating better?

Celina D . [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Port Deposit, MD, United States
^

Celina,

If I were you, I'd have the original coating sand-blasted off, then have the set powder coated. Typically you will get much longer life from a properly applied powder coating, then a wet coat. Depending on how many pieces you have, I would expect to pay approx $200 for the job.

anodizer - Boise, Idaho
^

Regarding your answer to #13005. Is it better to sandblast and then powder coat, or zinc plate and then paint? Is there a difference?

Marsha Barnhart
- San Pedro, California, USA
^

----
Ed. note: please see letters 7543, 26857, 32772, and 33964 for additional discussions on this topic.