ANODIZING TITANIUM

1998

I'm looking for a process to anodize titanium.

Does anyone know a vendor who supplies the chemistry

thanks, Ken

KEN CLAY

1998

Ken,

For the anodizing of titanium we use the following bath.

80 vol% phosphoric acid
10 vol% sulphuric acid
10 vol% water at room temperature.

The color of the anodic layer depends on the anodizing voltage.

Anodizing of titanium can also be done in 3 - 5 w% trisodium phosphate [affil. link to info/product on Amazon].

J.H. Pennings
TNO INSTITUTE OF INDUSTRIAL TECHNOLOGY

1998

Ken

I have had good luck using the trisodium phosphate [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] solution mentioned in another response, (3% to 5% by weight). My experience is in small parts of titanium and niobium and I get a large range of very vivid colors with this bath. One thing to remember is that the bath temperature should be kept below 80 degrees Fahrenheit otherwise the process breaks down and etches the workpiece. The resulting greyish surface is difficult to remove, and removal may cause an otherwise accurate part to become out of tolerance.

Howard Bailey

2000

I¥m looking for some people that have experience (Books, Publications,....) with : Anodizing Titanium Thanks

Taghezout
TU - Graz - Graz, Austria