METAL RUSTING

I am a yr 12 student from INDIA and I have been given an assignment on the corrosion of iron. My question is: describe the condition under which rusting of iron occurs and explain the process of rusting including the affects of acidic environments oxygen concentration, temperatures, salt concentrations. Would you be able to answer my questions?

Akash [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Gwalior, INDIA

No we wouldn't, Akash; it would be a disservice to everyone if you just passed along your homework assignment to somebody else. But if you want to submit your ideas and answers for comment here, I and other people will be pleased to try to help you avoid mistakes and learn as much as possible from the assignment. Good luck.

Akash,

Look in a chemistry textbook at the topics "reduction-oxidization reactions" and the "Nernst Equation." If you understand these concepts, you should be able to apply them to the oxidization of iron.

tim neveau
Tim Neveau
Rochester Hills, Michigan