-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry
Serious Education & the most FUN
you can have in metal finishing smiley

No popups, spam, registration or passwords
on this site
current topics
topic 12446

What is that black layer on the stainless steel surface?



I am working in a metal etching company, got a question to ask and hope someone can tell me. There's a difference type of Stainless Steel like 301, 302, 304, 316 and 430 etc. After the metal been etched with ferric chloride, the 301 stainless steel surface covered with a layer of black fine powder, but not on 430. Can anyone tell me what is that black powder thing.

Thanks a lot.

Albert Tsang
- England, U.K.


A complete guess here! The black stuff is most likley carbon as the ferric does not dissolve carbon.

Martin Trigg-Hogarth
Martin Trigg-Hogarth
surface treatment shop - Stroud, Glos, England

If you have a question in mind which seems off topic, please Search the Site

ADD a Comment to THIS thread START a NEW threadView CURRENT TOPICS

Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices

©1995-2018, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.