Anodized look and texture using stainless steel?

I customise computer cases (Painting of stainless steel, and anodizing aluminum, etc..) Recently I was asked if I could anodize a case, but I could not because it was stainless. I am curious if there is a way to give the anodized look and texture of aluminum on stainless. Any answers would be appreciated.

Jerry Chesney
- Odessa, Texas

For the record, stainless steel can be anodized, but only via proprietary processes such as are offered by Prismatic Stainless Steel [B&M Finishers].

When aluminum is brightened before anodizing it is difficult to distinguish by eye from stainless steel although aluminum is a little whiter, and stainless a little bluer. Look at a truck with polished "diamond plate" and guess whether it is stainless or aluminum--if you're like me you'll be wrong about 50 percent of the time.

So what I think you are associating with aluminum is the matte finish more than the color. In aluminum processing this is a result of chemical etching, but I think it is obtainable on stainless by blasting.

You could find a dyed coatings that simulate different anodized colors. A problem with this is certain colors degrade and fade quickly when exposed to light.

Good luck,

Jake Koch
G. J. Nikolas & Co., Inc.
Bellwood, Illinois
nikolas banner ad