Chrome Plating Specification

What is a spec for chroming parts on my car, such as door handles, and especially die castings w/ have been pitted due to 20 year life and weather.

I'm especially interested in the full process stages from stripping old to new finish so that I may have an informed discussion w/ whomsoever does it. Thicknesses and duration of process would be most helpful so that I may write up the technical spec for this refurbishment project.

Many thanks and Happy New Year.

John Johnson
- London, England

The Metal Finishers Supply Association (www.nasf.org) has a very inexpensive booklet entitled "Quality Metal Finishing Guide, Decorative Copper-Nickel-Chromium". I think that is exactly what you need.

I would go with Ted's advice if I were you. Even though automotive engineers strive for uniformity, the reality is that corrosion specifications vary widely for each type of part, for each OEM, and for each vehicle model. Plus, you need to pay for access to automotive specs. Even I have trouble getting some of them and I work in the industry!

tim neveau
Tim Neveau
Rochester Hills, Michigan