Aluminum fishing reel oxidizing

The black glossy paint on my fly fishing reel is starting to peel off, exposing white oxidation underneath. There are also some spots where the paint hasn't peeled yet but are "bumpy", where I am sure oxidation is also happening under the paint. I have been using the reel for 4 years for saltwater fishing, dismantling and rinsing it after each use. Unfortunately the paint has been nicked a bit, and there are some parts which can't be removed due to rivets, and it is mostly at these locations that the oxidation is happening. These other parts appear to be chrome-plated brass and stainless steel. My thoughts are to strip off the paint completely, then buff off the loose white oxidation. What should I do then? Coat the aluminum with something? Leave it bare? To keep refinishing costs in perspective, the reel cost me $150 Canadian. (I know, I should have spent a bit more and bought an anodized machined reel!)

Thanks a lot for any help! John Segal
- Nanaimo, BC, Canada

You'll have to strip the paint and remove the corrosion, this includes the rivet holes. Glass bead blasting is the best way to get rid of it, but if you don't get is all it will be back. Getting a 150 dollar reel anodized is definitely not worth it... so after you get rid of the corrosion (including the pits) prime it and paint it if there is enough left to paint.

Good luck. J. Deadman
- Oslo, Norway