Patina on Copper: Need natural solutions for speeding process

Great web site. We are in Phoenix Arizona, and just installed some beautiful copper landscape lighting. Right now it is bright penny-copper new. A couple of the lamps have fingerprints from whoever packed them visible as a brown/charcoal color. I want to remove the fingerprints, then speed up a "green" patina finish, not the dull copper brown we get here in AZ. I'm from the East Coast and love the blue-green copper roof colors in Boston and Providence and would like to emulate them.

Will a weak vineger-water solution (or salt water solution?) sprayed on the lamps do the trick? How about vinegar AND salt in water. I've heard local guys talk about these natural solutions, but do not want to ruin the expensive lamps or get a black finish. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary Kaye
- Phoenix, Arizona, USA

How do I find the answer to your question....which is my question too...except I want to give a patina to an outdoor copper fountain...which is shiney and really needs "aging'...thanks.

Ellen Portal
- Houston, Texas