Pewter finishing, plating with copper, brass or bronze?

As a hobby, I make pewter figurines. The metal I use is a mixture of tin and lead. I'm interested in plating these molded figurines with copper, brass or bronze. Just to give them a different look. I would like to use stuff found around the house or at the local hardware store. I'm not looking to put a lot of money into this right now.

Also, any suggestions on cleaning and polishing these pewter figurines would be most welcome. There must be an easier method, than a lot of brushing and rubbing by hand. The piece needs to be very clean before being dipped into acid, to give an antique finish. Then some brushing, steel wool [linked by editor to product info at Rockler], and polishing cloth. Must be a simpler method out there...

Harvey Hazelett
- Saint Cloud, Florida, USA