Surface hardening

Good day Sir,

I am a research student in Brunel University. My research is based on the Surface melting and gaseous alloying of H13 tool steels. This is to occur by welding the surface of the H13 tool steel using the GTAW PROCESS with nitrogen and hydrogen as shielding gases while varying the welding speed. The effects that the speed variation and the effects of the shielding gases would have on the surface of the steel is to be examined, by doing hardness, tests and microscopy, with some Xray diffraction as well.

I was hoping that you could please tell me and advise on other tests to conduct on the sample, in order to understand other effects that would have occurred as a result of welding using these conditions. And also I wanted to find out if you could please help me on the effects that nitriding has on the surface of the steel and the hardening effect. This project is more on the effect of treating a die steel that has experienced wear in operation, leading to failure.

Wendy Sonole
- Essex, England

Hello, Wendy,

I am a Mexican Master Student from a Metallurgy Research Institute (IIM) from the UMSNH university in Mèxico, I am doing a similar research about h13, I hope don't be late, because the date of the latter...but if you are working on the same and are interested, we can talk...and change info...

You can do thermal fatigue, after your tests...you will collect a lot of info over there...

I am trying to repair the H13 and extent the life by welding, welding by gtaw , and doing some stuff like thermal fatigue and weldability tests, I am considering analyzing other transport phenomena that we can talk later... well, answer as soon as possible...

Hasta Pronto...

Edmundo Mendieta
I.I.M.-UMSNH - Morelia, Michoacàn, Mèxico

Hi you can use 410 filler metal for hardfacing of H13.

Shahram Gholizadeh
- Tehran, Iran