Anodizing and Alcohol: chemical reaction?

I am developing a new product, made out of aluminum, which will be in contact with alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. I am polishing the parts and would like to anodize it also.

My question is: Will anodizing my product have a chemical reaction with alcohol or drinks like Pepsi or orange juice?

I greatly appreciate your help.

Marcelo Danze
- Huntington Beach, California, USA

There have been studies on using mixtures of alcohol to seal anodic coatings with promising results. If your anodized container is properly sealed before use, I guess that alcohol and the coating won't have a considerable reaction. If you're referring to the aluminum cans used for beverages, they are coated with polymer.

Dado Macapagal
- Toronto, Ontario

Anodizing does not hold up very well in high or low pH environments. Pepsi and OJ could be a problem.

Chris Jurey, Past-President IHAA
Luke Engineering & Mfg. Co. Inc.
Wadsworth, Ohio

luke engineering banner

Please note you can not use fluoride sealing process to seal a part which using with food or beverage. The fluoride is harmful. You can use hot water sealing.

Shao Yanbin
- China