Request for information on Keyphos coating

We deal in race cars and race components to distribute to the major Japanese race teams. I am looking for a suitable coating for SAE413 steel tubes, and very interested in KEYPHOS coating. Please can you provide the information on Keyphos coating. For example, I would like to know whether the coating will be done before or after welding these pipes. I look forward to your reply.

Toshio Hibino
- Tokyo, JAPAN

Keyphos is presumably just a trade name for a phosphate coating; although I see some similar trade names in the Metal Finishing Guidebook I do not see it spelled exactly that way. You probably want to look into iron phosphating, zinc phosphating, and manganese phosphating and decide which one offers the properties you are looking for. No coating is going to be able to withstand welding temperatures, so if you want the full benefit of the phosphate coating it must be done after welding.

Keyphos is a phosphate/resin system applied by dip, brush or spray, it comes in black or clear, although all the race teams over here use the black. It has to be stoved after application.I would imagine it would be available in Japan through a distributor, though who this would be I've no idea. It does look trick on suspension components, and generally is applied after fabrication on the complete part.

Richard Guise
- Lowestoft, U.K.