Strip off paint on ABS

Dear sir,

I want to strip off paint from automotive ABS part (like rear mirror) for plating on ABS.Would you recommend how to strip off paint with out or little bit attack on plastic.

Best regard,

Prasarn Hutpattanasilp
- Samutsakorn, Center, Thailand

Dear sir,

We should know the kind of paint but generally paint removers are two kinds.

1-based on organic solvent[methylene chloride-xylene...etc]
2-based on caustic strong alkaline to destroy the paint film[NaOH-S.phosphate....etc]

So until you telling me the kind of paint you use the second type of removers is more safe.

RAAFAT ALBENDARY
N.P.E - CAIRO, Egypt

Dear RAAFAT,

I don't know the type of paint but it is used in automotive industry. The solvent base strip off paint may be too aggressive to strip off paint on ABS parts.

Prasarn Hutpattanasilp
LorYongSeng Co.,ltd. - Samutsakorn, Center, Thailand

Prasarn,

What Raafat said is l00% true ... in fact I didn't even know that there were two types of paint remover. Thanks for the education, Raafat!

He didn't recommend the first one BECAUSE the standard cement for ABS happens to be related to methylene chloride ie. MEK / methyl ethyl ketone. Don't even consider using it! It will dissolve the ABS very nicely, thank you!

Dear sir,

It is clear that you don't know the type of paint[polymer] so I will ask an expert [friend] till that you can use the alkaline remover [pH>12]. I'm sure paint film will destroyed but take care this will make slightly etched ABS so make one sample first to adjust the time

Good luck,

RAAFAT ALBENDARY
plastics electroplating - Cairo, Egypt