Aluminum motorcycle engine cases (how to polish smooth?)

I am restoring a older British motorcycle, and would like info on how to polish the main aluminum engine cases to get them smooth and shiny. I've seen show bikes like that and would like to do the same. My cases are rough and pitted, I've cleaned them up with a wire brush on a drill but would like to make them smoother .

Robert B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

The Fine Art of the Motorcycle Engine

I to want to shine up pitted and dull aluminum motorcycle cases. What way was the best?

Randy D [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Seattle,Washington

(2006)

Use emery cloth a few different grades. from smaller number to larger then wash it with steelwool and soap and water.

Richard Feuerstein
- New York, New York

----
Ed. note: letters 800, 1831, and 10917 go into substantial detail about aluminum polishing.