Help with finishing wrought iron

I need some assistance from someone who knows what I can use to finish a couple of wrought iron pieces I had someone build for me. I've heard of some acid you can use to give it a certain finish. I am looking for something that can make it look older, like a dark brown with rust looking streaks. I called a paint shop today, and the only thing I could find was acrylic paint. The attendant did mention that there are some people who work with some acids to finish metals, but for business reasons, they don't like to share "their secrets." If there's anyone who knows and would like to share their secrets, I thank you in advance! Jose Soto
- Farmington, New Mexico, USA

Try wiping it down with vinegar. There is an acid you can put on it also, but I don't remember the name.

Phil Leonard
- cortez, colorado