Painting Copper Pipes

I want to paint a copper pipe to be use outside, and I need the following information:

1. Preparing the pipe for painting.
2. Kind of paint to use.

Augustine Silva
- Anderson, California, USA

I need an answer to the same question! Our kitchen was done up and all the copper piping runs outside over a white painted wall. I would like to paint the pipes white. Do I need to prime with anything? What paint do I use? The pipes carry hot and cold water - must I use the same paint for both?

When using creosote on exterior facia timber which has already previously been treated with creosote approx. how long before re-doing the job?It is in full sun the whole day and does not appear to last long. I also fear that the last painters thinned the creosote with thinners to make the painting easier.Does one put it straight on with no thinning or what?

Bruce Gardner
- Joburg, South Africa

(2006)

I have concerns about painting copper pipes because I heard that paint reacts with the copper. The contracter that is finishing the basement has sprayed the pipes and I need to know if this is goiung to be a problem down the road.

Sherry Wright
- Oakville, Ontario, Canada

In order to paint copper you first need to etch it with a metal etch cleaner. 1 part etch, 3 parts water. You will then need to sand or scrape off rust or dirt etc... Then prime with UMA metal primer [X-I-M UMA Bonder [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]] and paint with a durable exterior paint.

If your contractor did not etch or clean the protective coating on the pipes BEFORE painting them, you will have problems down the road. The pipes will tend to "bleed" through the paint. You will then need to sand and scuff them up and follow with the UMA primer and re-paint.

John Kreitzer
- Castro valley, California