Low VOC substitute for polyurethane with spatter finish?

1998

I am interested in finding a low VOC "paint".

I am designing a product that I'd like to finish in Sherwin Williams Polane polyurethane, in a custom color, light grey, and with a "spatter" type finish. The problem is that one of my parts suppliers in Michigan cannot spray this legally. Thus...I am interested in another type of coating for these parts. It must match well in color and texture against the polyurethane coated parts on my product. As I have learned so far, powder coating custom color matches are more difficult unless the production volume is high. My volume is low, around 1000 parts per year at 5X7X8 inches per part. Also I understand that the texture might be a problem. Is there another coating such as a water based or low VOC product out there?

Alan Randmae
Vicon Industries Inc.

1997

There are semi-textured powders in high gloss and in low to mid gloss. They are not exactly the surface profile of Polane, but they have been used to replace it. Many colors are available.

Jeff Hagerlin
paint supplier - Houston, Texas

2000

I am looking for a powder coating for plastics.

I read in the article, "What's new in powder coating", that Herberts/O'Brien have developed a UV curable powder. My company is interested in a textured powder to match aluminum parts we are using. I have an injection molded smooth part, to allow for chroming, that I need to texture for some applications. Any ideas? Bob Loper

Robert Loper
- Indiana

2000

Bob, Herberts-O'Brien is now DuPont Powder Coatings and does have UV curable systems that may work for your need. Regards, Jeff

Jeff Hagerlin
paint supplier - Houston, Texas