Compliant Clear Coatings

Q. We are looking for clear coat lacquers that will comply with the NYS VOC limit of 4.3 lbs/gal, minus water and exempt solvents. We need one that would be good for brass products that would be exposed to the outdoors, and one that would be good for highly decorative chandeliers. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Virginia R [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
NYS Environmental Facilities Corp, Small Business Assistance

I suggest that you consider powder coatings. There are thermosets capable of curing at 275 F for about 15 minutes. If that is too much heat. You can look at UV curable powders. These met at temperatures of 200 to 230 F then get zapped with UV light for about a second or two. I can direct you to people involved with this technology.

Kevin Biller
- Columbus, Ohio

I have a '98 Honda Accord. It is black clear coat paint made by Dupont. The paint seems to be releasing from the primer forming bubbles. Then the bubbles crack and flake off. Honda is saying this is caused from bird droppings. They say the black paint is highly sensitive to acid in the droppings. I thought poly-urethanes were fairly resistant to acid. Does anyone have any information about clear coat paints and why the bubble?

Matthew Steiner