Etching on stainless steel

Dear sir:

I am a businessman. We are running our stainless steel industries since 1973. I want to start chemical etching on my stainless steel utensils. I don't know which chemical are used in this etching (etching stainless steel)and whats the proper process of etching.

I shall be thankful for this, if you will help us.

Satish Kumar Chadha
- Jagadhri ,Haryana, India

Ferric Chloride

FeCL3 or Ferric chloride will etch mostly all. Be careful that you store it in plastic. A dilute solution will work. Some mix small quantity of HNO3. You must mask other area with masking ink. Some photographically expose and develop area to be etched. Contact local gravure cylinder manufacturers who will help.

Payal Mag
- Charlotte, North Carolina