Silver coin

I have an old Roman silver coin, which is covered with lead (melted and poured over the coin). Is there any method or process of removing the lead from the silver coin?

Bojan Kicurovski
- Skopje, Macedonia

Bojan, although I do not collect coins, is the lead on the silver coin supposed to be there? Was that how it was made?

Many antique items are damaged when coatings are removed. Maybe someone that visits this web site can give you a more concise answer.

Bill Hemp
tech svc. w/ chemical supplier - Grand Rapids, Michigan

Q. I have a Roman 'tribute penny' that I would like to sell, but I don't know enough about ancient coining methods to be able to say what kind of silver would have been used.
I want to be as honest as possible when I sell the coin. I live in a very rural area, and no one here has ever seen a coin this old. Las Vegas in over 100 miles away.
PLEASE
HELP

Gene Harvey
- Kingman, Arizona, USA

Hello, Gene.

E-bay and Craig's list are as close as your computer, though. I think with some patience you will find similar coins. Good luck.