23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Aluminum Plating Issues

I would like to know the production capabilities of nickel plating & chrome plating Aluminum.

I have had serious quality issues with my prototypes and going into production I need to have a COST EFFECTIVE, aesthetically acceptable and feasible way to coat Aluminum, or do I just go for anodizing?

My finishes are decorative, on both extruded and die cast parts, used in commercial applications (furniture etc).

Any help in the basics would be appreciated along with companies (U.S.) who do this regularly. Thanks in advance!

Niels Eilmus
- Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA

It won't be good for low-end furniture. It is an exacting art, and you need to apply a zincate, and a serious amount of copper, nickel and chrome. Duplex or triplex nickel for outdoor use.

pooky tom pullizi signature

I tried Nickel glycolate direct on zincate. After baking at 150 °C, it produced excellent adhesion, and was hassle free. "Metal finishing" carried a detailed article on this topic, long time back.

Yashawant V. Deval
electroplating shop - Pune, Maharashtra, India