Titanium oxidation

I have been sanding the exterior of titanium to clean off all oxidation before welding. This is getting very labor intensive. How can I clean titanium of all oxides other than mechanically? I use .030 to .070 material in strips 1 1/2 wide X 6" long and the entire strip must be clean of all oxides on both sides. Is there a dip I can use?

Bill Cottrell
- Tenino, WA

Bill,

There is an answer but if you do not use chemicals consider sub contract to a local treatment house.

Hydrofluoric acid (dilute) will clean it, but this a very nasty chemical.

Nitric / ammonium bifluoric mixes will also do the same.

But they are very dangerous chemicals.

Martin Trigg-Hogarth
Martin Trigg-Hogarth
surface treatment shop - Stroud, Glos, England