Simple organic plating

I want to plate a plastic or organic material in my school for a project using a few non toxic material. I heard that by rubbing a plastic by a Sandpaper [linked by editor to product info at Rockler] to make it rough, and then treating it by a solution, I can put silver on it and later electroplate it. Could anyone give me the name of the chemicals to use?

PS: This is not an industrial or a job needing a well done finish, a few simple method will do.

Srikanth Sridharan
- Bangalore, India

It sounds like you are just looking for paint with silver flakes in it -- which is probably the simplest metallization technique. There are some vendors in the U.S., but if you are trying to mix it yourself, I guess you just mix paint and silver flakes; after painting you probably lightly sand or solvent wipe to expose as much silver as you can.

Mr Srihdaran:

Based on the information on your letter, it seems to be that you are talking about the process used in electroless plating on ABS plastic. Please, if possible, research the information on this subject, you'll find it interesting. Actually, so interesting you are going to wish it were only silver flakes!

Alfonso Hernandez
- Aurora, Colorado

----
Ed. note: We have an FAQ about metallizing non-metallic substrates.