Is there a printable masking-paint?

I'm trying to electroform complicated patterns on a flat surface. Having to paint on the making-varnish by hand is a time-consuming thing, and I would like to be able to print on the pattern. Is there anyone who knows about a (screen-)printable stop-off varnish or masking-paint?

Tine De Ruysser
- Antwerp, Belgium

First of two simultaneous responses --  

Yes there is a transfer film, which is what you are looking for. Its called "Press N Peel". Using your computer you print the design on it, then you iron it on the metal, then peel it, then plate or anodize. It also works with copiers, etc. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Andrew Wolf
- New Jersey

Second of two simultaneous responses --  

Tine Mr. or Mrs.?:

Here goes an idea that might be worth thousands for you. It's called TONER. Surprised? Think about it. I won't tell the whole story so you can feel proud of yourself when you get it, but let me hear from you.

Dear Guillermo Marrufo,

If you say I should use toner, I guess you want me to dilute normal stop-off varnish until it has the right viscosity to be printed. But what sort of varnish do you use? There are so many different ones available.

I also have the extra difficulty that I do not have access to any materials at the moment, because I have just graduated at an art college, where I started using the technique of electroforming. Now I am preparing for an application for a grant to continue my research but in the mean time I cannot use the colleges facilities, so I cannot do any tests with the products they use.

I hope I'm right in my guess about the toner as dilutant. Please respond!

Tine De Ruysser
- Antwerp, Belgium

Tine:

How are you doing with your masking problem? Have you come to the right answer? R: A Xerox copier. No varnish, just the machine-s ink ingredients and heat. Another idea: Plotted decals. Piece of cake! Keep in touch if still in trouble.

Bye.