Plating wastewater problem

This is a departure from plating industry process discussion; but I need some help. I am an environmental engineering student, and have been asked to work a plating wastewater problem where 10% by weight chromium trioxide in a sulfuric acid solution must be reduced prior to disposal. All the chromium is hexavalent, and sulfur dioxide will be used as the reducing agent followed by lime for neutralization. We're asked to calculated the stoichiometric quantity of sulfur dioxide required, and I could probably do so if I knew the formula for the chemical reaction.

What are the reactants and the products? Is it one reaction or two?

Craig Mansholt
- Staunton, Illinois