Iron paint

I am trying to find a recipe for making an "iron paint", or a "copper paint", they have commercial varieties in the store but I would like to create my own, because I just cannot afford it. I know that I can start with iron shavings, and mix that with some type of a base,(to create a paint,) but can't find any info anywhere. I would appreciate any help you could give to me-I would be using it to paint on various things, and then letting it oxidize in different ways to create the patinas I require. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Heather Negaard
- Saint Paul, Minnesota

I can't even find the iron paint. Where did you find it at? Is it terribly over priced?

Ilia Hall
- The Woodlands, Texas

I know there is a product called Instant Rust which will react with the metal filings mixed in the paint. I also rememeber (and wrote down but don't have it here with me) that an episode on some HGTV show had a home made version of instant rust. I'm looking for a store variety. Does anyone know where I can find that in the LA area?

LARRY CRAIG
- STUDIO CITY, California, USA

Ed. note: Instant Rust [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] , a patina from Modern Options, is available by clicking the link.

The item your looking for is iron paint, its cost is 40.00 a litre in Austrailia. you can find it at www.ugp.com.au/UGP_Rust%20Paint.html

Jeff
- Thornton, Colorado

There is definitely an iron paint. I recently purchased it online from Kit Kraft inc.

It works pretty well, but I've had to put the oxidizer solution on lots and lots of times. I've changed to salt water for faster effects.

Shylah Petkus
- Walled Lake, Michigan, USA