23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Plating Aluminum to make it food-safe

Dear Sirs,

Recently I purchased an antique glass stove top percolator, and look forward to making wonderful coffee and yerba mate in it.

But one thing first: I want to plate the aluminum basket and tube with a safer metal. I have serious concerns about aluminum, but at the same time I really like this charming little appliance. Do you have any ideas as to what I might be able to do about this with my good mechanical and electrical aptitude?

Thank You!

Jim Farley
- Coxsackie, New York

I personally feel your concern about aluminum is unjustified, Jim. There was a theory a few years ago that aluminum might be involved in Alzeimer's disease, and I'm sure that tens of millions of dollars were spent in clinical trials before the medical community gave aluminum a clean bill of health. But that's up to you.

You will probably not find it practical to plate those items though; there is just a lot to it. But you could use your mechanical skills to fabricate stainless steel replacements, or buy a glass replacement for the tube. Good luck.