How to get started in chrome plating

To whom it may concern:

I am trying to start a business in chrome plating and would like some information on how to get started. I would like if you would send me some literature on what I need to get started in this profession; also I need some trouble shooting information on some problems I might encounter.

Edward Huguley
- Columbus, Georgia, USA

Hi, Edward. Chrome plating is a very serious business, not to be entered into on a whim. So the first piece of advise would be to suggest that you get a job in a chrome plating plant for a while. Short of that, start by reading a few of the books at finishing.com/library/books.html and subscribing to a couple of the journals at finishing.com/library/magazins.html.

Our FAQ, "Introduction to Chrome Plating", may be helpful. Best of luck!

Make sure you know what you are getting into. Plating can be a harsh profession. You need a lot of technical expertise, so if you do not have much personally, you had better hire some industry veterans. You should also be aware of the environmental concerns inherent in plating. Platers use some of the most heavily regulated chemicals in the nation and need to be concerned with proper use, storage, and disposal. The plating lines are usually large investments and need a good amount of work lined-up for them to be profitable.

Those are the big concerns you should know about. Other than that, good luck and best wishes!

tim neveau
Tim Neveau
Rochester Hills, Michigan