Metal finishing question from a non professional

I am restoring a 1971 Datsun 240Z and there are a lot of bright yellow nuts, bolts and metal parts that seem to have been anodised. I want to make a very small anodising bath to restore the many pieces back to their original lustre. I can get plenty of info on aluminium anodising but not for steel, although the term I am using (i.e., anodising ) for steel may not be correct.

Robert Burgess
- Adelaide, South Australia

Steel is not anodizable, Robert. If the parts are steel, the finish you are describing is probably zinc plating with yellow chromate or cadmium plating with yellow chromate. I think you may not want to do chromating at home, involving as it does a regulated carcinogenic chemical (hexavalent chromium) that requires special treatment before disposal. But good luck to you.