Bright brass refinishing

I originally purchased solid brass door hardware which is now very dull. The mfg. told me to remove the lacquer, polish with a very fine 0000 steel wool [linked by editor to product info at Rockler] and spray with a brass lacquer [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. I did all this BUT I would like to know how to get a very bright polished look and a very durable lacquer coating.

Gordon H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Mukilteo, Washington

Twinkle (12 boxes)

I hate to argue with the manufacturer, who should know better than any of us, but I don't think fine steel wool is enough to restore a bright brass look. I think you need to buff with Brasso [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], Twinkle, Copper Glo [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] or some other compound after the steel wool step. Then lacquer. The more patience you have in terms of multiple thin coats, the better. There are copper/brass specialists like G.J. Nikolas who may be able to offer a lacquer well tailored to the specific use.

Hello Gordon,

If you look around the internet, you can find suppliers of polishing compound and buffing wheels, some that attach to a drill. Maybe polishing the brass with an abrasive polish like Brasso would do. Whatever you decide to do, wipe the part down with Acetone [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] or lacquer thinner [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] prior to lacquering. If you want a durable lacquer finish, maybe go with a higher quality lacquer rather than a cheap one (you get what you pay for).

Best of luck,

Jake Koch
G. J. Nikolas & Co., Inc.
Bellwood, Illinois
nikolas banner ad