Model 94 refinishing help needed

I am trying to refinish my grandfathers model 94 for my father, but realize that I am way over my head right off the bat. I would like to break the whole gun down, ultimately, and clean it up, blue it, and refinish the stock. Any advice on how to get the fore stock off, or how to disassemble the gun? Any advice would be appreciated (other than "take it to a professional"). Thanks.

John Bartholme
- Clarkston, Michigan

Gun parts & schematics at Brownell's

John,

There isn't enough room here to give you all the details. Your idea is great and I'm sure you will be proud of the job when your done. You need to contact the National Rifle Association for a breakdown manual, or try your local library. With the manual (actually just a few pages) the job is not very hard, and I think you will get a kick out of the project. This will involve both metal and wood refinishing and can be as much work as you want to make it.

Good luck,

Ed Kay
- St. Louis, Missouri