Silver 'plating' removal from laboratory glass

I work in a laboratory and have a laboratory glass bottle that has silver plating on the inside of the glass. I need to remove the silver so the glass container can be used again. I am already aware of how to dispose of the removed silver, but I can't find a technique to remover the silver 'plating' from the glass. What procedure(s) can I use to remove the silver plating safely and efficiently?

Donna A [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA

First of two simultaneous responses --  

Nitric acid. 50% v/v is a good starting point. Don't even fill the container all the way, just tilt it (carefully!) to get the surfaces to contact the acid. It shouldn't take long.

bill vins
Bill Vins
microwave & cable assemblies
Mesa (what a place-a), Arizona 

Second of two simultaneous responses --  

If it is silver then nitric acid will dissolve (OR sodium cyanide solution}. If aluminium use caustic soda solution. If you need to scrub the inside put some sand in there with detergent or cleaning aid and swirl etc

Geoffrey Whitelaw
Geoffrey Whitelaw
- Port Melbourne, Australia