Aluminum is shiny, need black finish

I own a shotgun that has an aluminum receiver. The black finish has worn off. Is there a way to anodize the aluminum to get the black restored to a durable finish?

JAY WHITTNEY
- LACROSSE, Wisconsin

Jay, just look in the yellow pages under plating. You can either have it black anodized or hard coated. I recommend the hard coat, but beware it deposits both into as well as out from the aluminum. This can be I think up to .002 inches. Also you will need to put whatever finish lay you want on your part. I'm home today sick, but I'll get back to you with some MIL specs. These control color and thickness amongst other things.

James Dunn
Dunwell Machine & Engineering - Manchester, New Hampshire

Editor's note: Plating shops can be found in the Jobshops Directory.

James,

Thanks for the info!

Jay Whittney
- Lacrosse, Wisconsin