Powder coating or urethane on stainless steel gates

I am making stainless steel gates, 304 material, MIG and TIG welding these together. These gates have SS forged rod that looks like branches, with the mill scale knocked back, and leaves that have been water jet cut out and welded on to the branch material. The leaves have been beaten, then heated and buffed back for a slight black and color patina on the leaves. The tubing frame will then get copper lettering welded to it and the frame will get glass bead blasted. These will go in an outdoor setting in a high profile area and my client is very difficult.

My question finally is this: What do you recommend to keep the copper from running onto the Stainless Steel? I was thinking about using 6 coats of a high quality automotive urethane or powder coating. Any ideas?

Russ Beardsley
- Denver, Colorado, USA

I read this on the Bramblebush Forum: "Try 316, it's corrosion inhibiting properties are much better than 304. It welds better too."

Sheryl Fletcher
- Pahoa, Hawaii

Hi, Russ.

I think the copper should be wiped with benzotriazole (corrosion inhibitor for copper) and then the automotive clearcoat. But I think 6 coats would be brittle and rather liable to peel. I think two coats would be better. But please recognize that this is book knowledge. It's hard to find someone who has done a very similar project, but maybe they'll stumble upon this page and inform us :-)