Plate Aluminum

I want to repair a crack in a diaphragm made of aluminum foil. The only way I can think of is plate that part locally and use solder to repair it. I can think of tin and silver. Can anyone give me a hint of how to plate it and will the repair hold at 15 kHz vibration.

Wasim Chowdhury
- Hartford, Connecticut

Hi, Wasim.

15kHz? Is this a loudspeaker? If the original diaphragm didn't hold, the repair won't hold either. Are you sure it's aluminum foil, not mylar with a shiny aluminized finish?

Anyway, yes, it is possible to electroplate aluminum but it's not easy, and this would have to be a very high value component before it could be feasible.