Chemical or Physical?

For my science lab, I took calcium hydroxide(powder form) and Ammonium chloride(powder form)on the either side of a paper circle. Then folded it to enclose the compounds and rubbed the top surface vigorously with my fingers. When I opened it, a very strong odour which wasn't there before was present. There was no change in color, shape or anything. Only an odour which made my nose burn. I need to know whether or not any reaction took place. Please Help!

Farah Naz Ahmed
- Ottawa city, Ontario, Canada

You did say that this produced a strong odor that wasn't there before, didn't you? So there was obviously a reaction. Although I'm not familiar with the particular experiment, I can make an educated guess as to what the reaction was--and I think you can too.