Cleaning aluminum

I wonder if anyone could give me some hints and tips?

I want to clean heavily soiled engine parts [grease oil 'varnishing' {from fuel I believe}] - they are predominantly aluminium (although the blocks have steel liners). This is a strictly amateur - what can be achieved in the (quite spacious) garage.

I do have some formal training in Chemistry (a long time ago my first degree was in this area) - so I have an appreciation of the hazards involved - an appreciation not a detailed knowledge.

Maybe its easy and someone could tell me how - maybe its much more complex and the best advice is ''read this book''.

Thanks in anticipation,

Stuart Mather
- Edinburgh, Scotland