Problems with engagement ring

I've had problems with my engagement ring as well. My fiance went into our local jewelers shop three months ago and asked for my then gold engagement ring to be re-set in white- gold. He was not informed of the rhodium plating or discoloring. After three weeks after the date the ring had been due back, he eventually received a pale yellow ring. He then had to take it back to be re-sized because the jeweler hadn't done this, even though he had asked for this service when originally taking the ring in.

In the past couple of weeks the color of the ring has bothered me, I had my heart set on a 'silver' colored ring. I took the ring back to the shop and was told that the ring had to be rhodium plated to be white in color. I asked why my fiance why hadn't been informed of this beforehand. I was told ' He didn't ask'. After some amount of arguing with the owner, I am having my ring plated. However the ring, when first redone, was not hallmarked. If I receive my ring without a hallmark is this legal? Was the Jeweler wrong not to tell us about the tarnishing and plating?

Claire Gallivan
- U.K.

Hi Claire, additional hallmarking of jewelry after it has been plated is not required if the original metal content (i.e. 18kt .750 gold) has not been altered. Replating your gold setting in rhodium to create a white or silvery finish is not a good long term solution. Frequent replating will be required! In my opinion as someone who plates decorative rhodium for a living, I would suggest that you replace the setting in a palladium based white gold alloy or platinum if you can afford it. If you reallllllly like the design of your current engagement setting, it can be reproduced in white gold or platinum. I have studied in the U.K, your country has some of the finest jewelers and metalsmiths in the world, I am sure you can do better than the jeweler you are using right now. Do it before you become too attached to the engagement ring you have now. Over the long term you will be happier you went to the trouble as opposed to having your yellow gold ring replated every year or two due to wear through.

Good Luck!

David Vinson
Metal Arts Specialties - Leonard, Michigan