-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

Modulus of elasticity for carbon steel

I would like to know the modulous of elasticity for carbon steel Thanks lew.

David Dixon
- England

Hi, it's 29E6^30E6, David. But what are you going to do with that answer? I am always curious when a question is asked when the answer is in every text on the subject, because I am concerned that I may have misunderstood the inquiry. Thanks.

Ted Mooney, Teds signature

Hello David!

Carbon steel has a Young's modulus of about 30 million psi. A good source for general information like this is the Engineering Fundamentals website, at There's a lot of good basic information there, although is far superior regarding finishing.

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart

205 GPa

Bill Reynolds
Bill Reynolds
   consultant metallurgist
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
We sadly relate the news that Bill passed away on Jan. 29, 2010.

I checked this site because the value has slipped my mind as well. 3 responses and 3 different answers. What's going on here?

Matthew Provance
- Athens, OH, United States

Sorry, Matthew. Lee's 30 million is the most common value used in the English system, but you will see 29 million in some books. But that's an excuse; the answer to the question asked is 30 million in English units.

Bill's value comes out to 29.7 million in English units; it's an approximation in a different system of units. Remember that E is temperature dependent.

Ted Mooney,

©1995-2018, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy