Using Anodize as a Maskant for Hard Anodize

I would like any advice for using sulfuric anodize as a maskant for hard anodizing. I am told it is possible, but I have had no success. I have tried chromic, sulfuric, and flash hard anodizes. I have tried all 3 types without sealing, with deionized water seal, and with dichromate seal. I have tried to vary the subsequent hard anodize, running some at 36 ASF and some at 24 ASF. None of my experiments showed any promise at all.

Kent Kessler
- Seattle, Washington

Try a nickel acetate seal as the sealing has to be 100% for this to work. Also ensure the seal is at temperature and try a seal test with ink to ensure that the parts are fully sealed before going on to the hard coat stage.

Martin Trigg-Hogarth
Martin Trigg-Hogarth
surface treatment shop - Stroud, Glos, England